Thursday, June 7, 2012

Recipe: Bran Muffins

I'm trying really hard to make good choices [first grade teacher lingo] when it comes to healthy eating. I love food, but I don't love gaining weight from all the yummy eating!  So, I'm trying to commit to cooking and creating some healthy recipes. My inspiration came from a muffin mix from the back of a Baker's Corner (shout out to Aldi!) Dry Milk container, and then I make some adaptations. Here is my FIRST ever self-created healthy recipe:

Apple Bran Muffins 
(Let's be honest, bran just sounds disgusting, doesn't it? I was pleasantly surprised!) 

Ingredients:
1 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups bran cereal

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or use paper liners. Combine all ingredients, except bran, into a bowl and mix well. Add the bran and stir until moistened. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.

Bake for 12-15 minutes to until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.


Served  best warm with a *little* bit of butter. Cheers to healthy eating! Any ideas for further substitutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment